About this course
This highly-interactive workshop demonstrates a structured approach to effective negotiating and introduces Breakthrough Negotiation Strategy to achieve results in difficult and complex negotiations.
What you will learn:
- how to plan and prepare for negotiations
- how to recognise the vital steps in a negotiated settlement, and to exhaust one step before proceeding to the next
- how to improve your communication skills to achieve better results
- how to resolve impasse and handle difficult negotiations
- how to negotiate in teams
- how to respect cultural differences in international negotiations
The bulk of this course comprises realistic, oil industry-based role-play negotiating scenarios based on a variety of commercial and non-commercial situations. This is underpinned with instruction in negotiating principles and methodology.
Class numbers for this course are kept low to ensure maximum student participation and ample coaching from the class instructor.
35 hours CPD
Negotiation as a process
- What do we mean by negotiation?
- Are you a potential negotiator?
- Key negotiating steps
Preparing for your negotiation
- Five keys to preparation
- Knowing your subject, knowing your counterpart, preparing your tactics
- An invaluable tool - preparation checklist
Initiating and presentation
- The importance of initiation and how to initiate
- The importance of presentation after initiation and before bargaining
- Developing your bargaining strategy
- Effective bargaining techniques
- How and when to avoid premature bargaining
- How to resolve impasse and deal with conflict
- Getting concessions
Closing the deal
- How to recognise closing signals
- Confirmation and follow-up
Communication and human behaviour in negotiations
- Seven steps to effective communication
- Verbal and non-verbal communication
- Learning how to listen
- Dealing with different personalities
- How to communicate to influence the other side
- Negotiating by phone or email
- How to negotiate in teams
- What we mean by "breakthrough strategy"
Handling international negotiations
- Recognising cultural differences
- How cultural differences affect negotiations
- Preparing for international negotiations
Dealing with conflict
- The causes of negotiating conflict
- How to assess your own conflict management style
- How to handle conflict in negotiations
Who should attend
This introductory/intermediate level workshop is aimed at personnel with limited negotiating experience who want to improve their abilities and confidence in this core business activity. It is suitable for a variety of professionals working in the oil and gas industry, both in commercial and inter-personal negotiations.
"Very good balance between theory and practical examples/ case studies. Impressed by vast experience and real life stories told by the lecturer Paul Keighley. "Bahruz Rustamov - SOCAR,
"The course was very good and helpful. I hope that I can participate in more negotiations from now on ."Jette Stoll - Nord Stream,
"The opportunity to test the various negotiation techniques through role play was very effective."Nana Kwaku Otchere, GNPC